Monday, January 19, 2015

Recipe: Trout Topped with Cucumber Salsa

     I have been craving fish a lot lately! Maybe it was the pleasant surprise of loving the fish sticks so much. I was browsing through my Cooking Light Cookbook and I came across a Trout recipe that sounded interesting and turned out beautiful and delicious! It was my first time filleting a whole fish. I've always been intimidated by it. But I found this great video to guide me. He makes it look super easy. Steven kept telling me I didn't have the right knife to do it. Haha. I used a boning knife and although it was harder than it looked, I did ok for my first try.  I prefer to leave the skin on the fish. I think it keeps it more moist. I served this Friday night which is one of Steven's days off and he said it was the best Trout he's ever had! Bon apetit!


Trout Topped with Cucumber Salsa

serves 4

Cucumber Salsa:
- 2 cups finely chopped seeded & peeled cucumber (about two large cucumbers)
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp finely chopped shallots
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 minced seeded jalapeno pepper
- 2 tsp minced cilantro

Fish:
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp minced cilantro
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
-4 trout fillets

1) To prepare salsa, combine first 6 ingredients. Cover and chill 2 hours.
2) To prepare fish, heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper evenly over one side of the fish. Add fish cilantro side down, to pan, cook 3 minutes. Turn and cook 3 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. 
3) Top with salsa and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment