Monday, January 12, 2015

Homemade Fish Sticks - Paleo Friendly

     So a huge hurdle to get over in my Paleo adventure is figuring out how to integrate it into my children's lives.  They don't get a lot of junk, but there are definitely pre-packaged, processed, grain based, and dairy items in their diets. I know my daughter will transition just fine. She is an adventurous eater, always willing to try something new and loves to watch and help me in the kitchen. My son however, is autistic and has some sensory problems. He is a very picky eater and has many food aversions. A huge problem is that if he doesn't recognize it, he doesn't want it. He will often pick up a food item, smell it, and put it down, never making it onto his little palate. 

     As a convenience, I started buying pre-packaged chicken nuggets and fish sticks. I would at least check ingredients to make sure that real meat was the first ingredient. But obviously these products are highly processed. 

     So this is where I start my toddlers on the paleo diet. Fish sticks. Whole pieces of real fish, no flour, not fried. I got a little inspiration from Pinterest, and I had at it! 


Paleo Fish Sticks

approximately 2 servings

- 1/2 lb swai chunks 
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper

1) Combine almond meal through pepper in a shallow dish.
2) Coat your fish with olive oil on both sides using a basting brush.
3) Toss fish pieces in almond mixture, coating thoroughly.



*see explanation below for cook times*

If you are ready to cook them now, bake at 400* for 5-8 minutes. If you are going to freeze them like I did, line a baking sheet with parchment, arrange coated fish pieces in one layer, not touching, and put them in the freezer. Once frozen through, you can put them all into a zip top freezer bag and back into the freezer for later use. From frozen cook fish at 400* for 12 minutes.

THESE ARE COMPLETELY DELICIOUS!!


     I chose to use only a half a pound because it was my first time and I want to make sure everyone likes them before I make a bigger batch. This will be my go-to lunch for Brooklynn this week and it's easy to just grab a few out of the bag and toss them in the oven as I need them. And you could probably use whatever fish you like. I chose the swai chunks because they were only $1.48 per pound at my supermarket this morning. If you use whole fish fillets, cut them into strips or small chunks.

  Bob's Red Mill was the brand of almond meal I chose. My grocery store had almond flour in the bulk section, but this was actually cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment