Friday, March 13, 2015

Ciabatta Margherita Pizza. Not Paleo. I'll Explain...

  I have been eating within the Paleo diet parameters since January and I have started to ease up a bit on it. I am still eating mostly Paleo but it's about 80% Paleo, 20% non Paleo which is suggested after you go 30 days strictly following the guidelines. 

  I learned that I feel noticeably better when I don't eat dairy, grains, and sugar regularly. I can't pinpoint if it's one of those things in particular or all three together. But I have had more energy, far less fatigue, and better digestion. I also realized I don't really miss those items that much! Dairy has been the toughest, especially cheese and sour cream. But I'm so used to not eating them all the time now it's no big deal. I can still make delicious food without any of those items. Another wonderful thing I've experience while eating Paleo is that I never get that, 'ugh I'm so full' feeling. You know, where you just need to sit for a bit and "digest". I just feel lighter. It's been a great experience and plan on continuing with an 80/20 Paleo diet. 

   However, this recipe was from Valentine's Day and I really broke all the Paleo rules that day. ;) Sweets, and bread, and cheese, oh my. (It was a holiday!) So enjoy this delicious pizza. 





Ciabatta Margherita Pizza

- 1 loaf ciabatta bread, sliced horizontally
- 4 tbsp softened butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 oz sliced fresh mozzarella
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tomatoes, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1/3 cup basil, thinly sliced (chiffonade) 
- salt and pepper 

1) Preheat oven to 400*. Mix together softened butter with minced garlic. 

2) Place ciabatta halves on a large baking sheet, spread butter evenly. Place mozzarella slices on top and bake for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

3) Meanwhile, heat balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan, bring to a low boil, cook for about 8 minutes until the vinegar thickens and coats the back of a spoon.

4) Remove bread from the oven. Top with tomato slices and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle your basil and then drizzle with balsamic reduction. Slice and enjoy!



Original recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod


No comments:

Post a Comment